|Coombs Lecture Theatre|
How the building was named
Dr H.C. Coombs (1906-1997) was Chancellor of the ANU from 1968-76 but his active interest in the University spans nearly four decades. As Director-General of Post-War Reconstruction, he was a member of the Interim Council and then of Council, serving as Deputy Chair from 1957 and Pro-Chancellor, from 1959-1968. Dr Coombs was the instigator of many initiatives in the University, including the Creative Arts Fellowship for Australian artists and the establishment of the North Australian Research Unit. He also served as a Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia, Chair of the Australian Council for Aboriginal Affairs and Chair of the Australian Council for the Arts.