|The Oliphant Building from Mills Road|
How the building was named
Sir Mark Oliphant (1901–2000) played a major role in the formation of the Research School of Physical Sciences and in encouraging frontier research in nuclear physics in Australia. While Professor of Physics at the University of Birmingham from 1937 to 1950 he gave advice to the Interim Council on the direction research in the physical sciences should take. His research, particularly at Birmingham, led to basic discoveries in radar and atomic energy. He was Director of the School from 1950 to 1963. He was President of the Australian Academy of Science from 1954 to 1956 and Governor of South Australia from 1971 to 1976.