|Copland Building inside the Copland Courtyard|
How the building was named
Sir Douglas Copland (1894–1971), an economist, was the first Vice-Chancellor of the ANU, serving from 1948 to 1953. He had previously been Sydney Myer Professor of Commerce and Dean of the Faculty of Commerce at the University of Melbourne from 1924 to 1944. Following his Vice-Chancellorship at the ANU he served as Australian High Commissioner in Canada and was the first Principal of the Australian Administrative Staff College, Mt Eliza.