|The R.G. Menzies Building from Fellows Road|
How the building was named
Sir Robert Menzies (1894–1978) was elected to Federal Parliament in 1934 and was Prime Minister from 1939 to 1941 and from 1949 to 1966. During his Prime Ministership the Australian Universities Commission was formed and the Commonwealth Government took over primary financial responsibility for Australian universities. A barrister and scholar, Sir Robert is credited with having taken a far-sighted and generous approach to tertiary education and research. He was awarded more than twenty honorary degrees from universities throughout the world.